Monday, December 21, 2009

The Great DC Blizzard of December 2009


The DC area got record amounts of snow this past weekend for December. It's the most snow we've EVER gotten in December. I felt like we were living in Alaska. I think the total came to about 24 inches! It started snowing late Friday night and didn't stop until early Saturday night! On Sunday, the kids had a blast sledding on the hill across the street from our house. Charlotte even went down by herself.

Charlotte and Dave playing in all the white stuff! The only time I've ever seen this much snow is out west while skiing.

The front of our house on Sunday. The sun was out so it was a good day to clear off the sidewalks and cars. The streets in our neighborhood are still a mess but Charlotte and I were still able to make it to our haircut appointments on Sunday morning. A girl's gotta have priorities :) We took the Subaru out. That car has proven to be great in the snow. I'm glad we have it.

Our house around 11am on Saturday. We only had about a foot of snow at this point.

Charlotte warming up with hot cocoa after playing outside.
We could get a pretty good idea of the accumulation by the level of snow on our deck table. This was taken around 11:30am on Saturday.
The same view of the deck later that day. You can see that the snow is much higher on the table.

Poor Dave put in a long weekend of shoveling. Just what you want to do on your days off. We saw more people out in the neighborhood digging out their cars on Sunday than we see all year. It was really nice to see everyone helping each other. I'm sure this great business for chiropractors! I only did about 2 hours of shoveling on Saturday and it was quite a workout. We've been staying close to home for fear of losing our parking space. Open parking spots are going to be a hot commodity until all of this melts. I can't wait until we have a two car garage someday...

No comments: