Sunday, March 16, 2008

I'm done with "Parents" magazine

I was already sick of reading the fluff in Parents magazine and decided I definitely wouldn't renew my subscription. I don't even get excited when it arrives. This is the article that put me over the edge:
http://www.parents.com/parents/story.jsp?storyid=/templatedata/parents/story/data/1204903765533.xml
The article is about trying cloth diapers instead of disposables. I was thrilled to see that "Parents" was covering this subject, but enraged after reading the article. I didn't expect the article to promote cloth diapers. But come on, give them a fair shot! This piece was poorly researched, poorly written and flat out wrong on many issues concerning cloth. When I was pregnant with Charlotte, I never imagined in a million years that I would want to use cloth diapers. I had enough to worry about as a new mom without throwing extra laundry into the mix. But once I started using them (Charlotte was about 6 months old), I instantly loved them and never looked back. Of course, we have times when we resort to disposables for convenience, travel, or sickness. I've just started experimenting with using them at night because I was too afraid of disturbing Charlotte's sleep before. I know it's not for everyone and it definitely adds more work, but the benefits far surpass the extra effort. My initial draw was that they are just so cute and soft. Now I feel good about saving money and creating less trash. Bottom line is that if you're ever interested in switching to cloth, PLEASE don't read this article as a reference. Email me and I'll help point you in the right direction!

Okay, I'm stepping down from the soapbox now. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Kat said...

I think your thoughts are valid. I read the same article and although I don't cloth diaper Julia I know a lot from Katie. I only got a couple paragraphs in before I quit reading because I knew it was a poor article.

Katie said...

I don't get the magazine but skimmed the online version and I agree, it was atrocious. Looking at the comments, many others are also in agreement. I have loved cloth diapering both my kids. (Except for the times I curse the poop!)

And like Charlotte, changing Nora's diaper is becoming more of a challenge. This summer just may be the end of all diapers!

Jessica Pierce said...

Good grief I hate Parents magazine! I don't even read them any more when I get them. That's how pathetic it is. I didn't even see this article, but it definitely confirms my feelings on this fluff-filled magazine!