A brief description of VUR:
Urine normally flows in one direction—down from the kidneys, through tubes called ureters, to the bladder. Vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) is the abnormal flow of urine from the bladder back into the ureters.
VUR is most commonly diagnosed in infancy and childhood after the patient has a urinary tract infection (UTI). About one-third of children with a UTI are found to have VUR. VUR can lead to infection because urine that remains in the child’s urinary tract provides a place for bacteria to grow. But sometimes the infection itself is the cause of VUR.
After many tests, doctor visits, and two catheterizations, the good news is that 80-90% of children grow out of this condition by the time they are 5 or 6 years old. Since Charlotte does not have a severe case, surgery is unlikely. The bad news is that she has to be on a low dose of antiobiotics until we test her again in 18 months (when she is 3 yrs old). Giving Charlotte medicine has never been an easy task. Every night is a battle to get one teaspoon down her throat. I'm hoping it will get better as time goes on. Pray for me!


One evening after taking the medicine she was playing with the syringe. She even gave her baby some medicine and then cried for her. It was so cute.
5 comments:
Poor baby! I am sorry to hear about this, but so glad you've found some answers. I love the pics of her helping her doll, what a sweetie pie. :) Hopefully, she'll get used to it after a while and will feel better! love you guys.
Good Luck with the treatment! Great timing for the information. I have a friend who's little one was just diagnosed with a UTI. I will pass on the info. She is such a cutie. I hope Nora and Charlotte will be able to get together again this summer.
Poor Charlotte! I know Target will flavor medicines for you, maybe that'll make it easier for everyone.
Oh, poor Charlotte. I hope that she is feeling better. I cannot even imagine a little baby dealing with the pains of an UTI and not being able to express it. Let me know if you guys need anything!
Poor baby - and poor mama! I was just telling my mom about this and she said my sister had the same thing when she was 3ish... treated the same way. At least if they've been doing it for almost 30 years, it must work, so hopefully some comfort in that!
Post a Comment