Friday, August 24, 2012

OBX June 2012
















We were back in Southern Shores, NC for our 5th year in a row at the Klein Cottage in June. To be honest, it wasn't one of our better years at the beach. I had anxiety about going for weeks leading up to it. We share the house with another family and I knew there were going to be more people there this year than in years past. We had been going through a bit of a rough patch with AJ's behavior. He's extremely bright but very stubborn and hard-headed. His meltdowns were coming fast and furious with little to no warning. Being a 3 year old is not easy. He is so sweet and affectionate at times, but can also be downright nasty. Since June, he has improved dramatically. I don't know if it's the book I read (thank you, Susannah, for the recommendation of Parenting Your Strong-Willed Child) or just getting older, but his behavior is much more manageable. That's not to say he's an angel all the time, but the outbursts are less frequent and of lower magnitude. Praise God!

We left the beach by Wednesday afternoon because Dave and I just couldn't take it any longer. We were both exhausted from dealing with AJ and no amount of alcohol was helping! Plus, it was a tough year with the baby because he couldn't be at the beach for long or down in the sand. I got a few good pictures but nothing like previous years. Even so, I look back at these pictures and think we had a great time. My new theory on vacations with young children is: Take lots and lots of pictures so that you'll look back at them and think it was the best vacation EVER even though you were an exhausted mess the whole time!

2 comments:

Anne LoGrasso said...

Oh I appreciate your honesty! Our trip to obx this year was much the same... I would have left early if I could have. We look so happy in pictures, but I feel your pain!!!

Courtney R said...

You're not alone -- 3 has been super rough for us as well. I am going to have to check out that book!