Thursday, August 27, 2009

Charlotte update



When Charlotte was about 18 months old, she got a UTI and was diagnosed with kidney reflux (see my blog post about it in March 2008). Last week, we went for a check-up to see if the reflux was still present. The procedure takes place at the hospital and involves catherization while they take images of her bladder and kidney area. I've been dreading it for weeks. I made sure my mom could be here for moral support and to watch AJ while we were there. My little girl surprised me, as usual. She was a perfect angel for the whole thing and didn't even let out a whimper. The staff at Inova Fairfax handled it extremely well. They bring in a "child life coordinator" whose sole job is to entertain Charlotte and keep her mind off what's happening. She also took time to explain to Charlotte ahead of time what they were doing using a baby doll. After it was all over, Charlotte got stickers and a huge teddy bear to take home. Memme got her a balloon from the gift shop. We took her out to lunch at our favorite spot, Noodles & Co followed by a brownie at the pastry shop next door. Needless to say, Charlotte is requesting to have the test done again soon because she thought it was so fun! Unfortunately, I was informed by the doctor on Monday that her reflux is still present. That means we will continue to take her medicine daily and go for another test in 18 months when she is 4.5 years old.

2 comments:

K and As Mom said...

Sounds like you did a great job preparing and the test went off without a hitch! I'm so glad to hear Charlotte handled it like such a champ but sorry the reflux is still present.

Susannah said...

Boo! Sorry the medication continues, but I'm so glad the meds seem to be working for her. And what a brave girl Charlotte is. I am impressed! :)